To simplify the early detection and timely treatment of the most common causes for preventable blindness (refractive errors, cataracts, Ptegion and glaucoma) for associates of the coffee farmers’ cooperatives and other productive sectors in Caldas and Risaralda.
Through the “Visión Cafetera” – Coffee Vision project we prevent blindness, starting with the early diagnosis of visual diseases such as pterygium, cataracts, refractive errors and/or glaucoma.
- Detection and early diagnosis of the visual deterioration of Caldas coffee growers, through optometry days.
- According to the results of the optometry consultation, we provided specialized ophthalmological treatments to the coffee growers that needed it.
- We recover the vision of coffee farmers in two ways:
- Preventive: We deliver basic lenses, which help us to prevent refractive errors that can cause blindness.
- Corrective: We made it possible to carry out preventive surgeries for affected coffee farmers with cataract, pterygium and glaucoma.
- We developed educational strategies for preventive eye health in order to promote healthy lifestyles that avoid future diseases, total loss of vision or damage to the procedures carried out.
- We awarded 2.232 reviews of optometry, in which it was diagnosed whether the farmers needed formulated lenses or some ophthalmological intervention was necessary.
- According to the results of the optometry consultations we delivered 1.755 lenses with formulation.
- We carried out 303 ophthalmology consultations.
- We operated 201 coffee farmers with problems of cataract, pterygium or glaucoma.